Follow the steps below to apply for a graduate teaching assistant (GTA) positions for the upcoming semester. This applies to all potential GTAs whether you currently have a GTA position or not. You must be admitted before actually applying for a GTA position. We will honor all GTA promises made during the admission process but those students must still apply to ensure they are not accidentally missed. Please include your anticipated school schedule and times you are NOT available on the bottom of the application.
Requirements: Please ensure you can meet all these requirements before you apply:
- You must be authorized to work in the U.S. at the time of hire. This means on the first day of class, you must have a social security card and have passed your background check. For incoming students from outside the U.S., this means you will need to be in the U.S. for approximately four (4) weeks before the start of classes.
- You must be available to attend a meeting of all CIS GTAs at 8:00 AM on the first day of classes. GTAs that miss this meeting will lose their GTA position.
- You must be resident in Manhattan from the first day of class until the end of finals week.
- Exceptions may be made to the first two bullets only for students traveling on university and CIS related business/research. Exceptions will not be made for personal travel.
- You must be enrolled for the semester for which you are applying by the last day of class of the preceeding semester.
- For international students whose first language is not English, a Test of Spoken English (TSE) or the Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) or the internet based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) is required. Candidates must have a minimum score of 50 on the TSE or SPEAK or a minimum speaking component score of 22 on the TOEFL iBT to be eligible for a GTA appointment. NOTE: You cannot use your IELTS score to qualify
All students desiring a GTA position for the upcoming semester must download and fill out a GTA Application Form (see link below) and send in a resume each semester. Students holding previous GTA assignments must submit an updated form and resume each semester. Include on the application, your anticipated school schedule and times that your are NOT available.
- To save the filled out version of the PDF application, you must (1) download the GTA application below and save it to a local file (you may have to right click on the link and select "save as"), (2) open the file and fill it out (Adobde Reader works well for this), and (3) save the file.
If you have any questions about the process, forms, or your status, please address them to our front office (firstname.lastname@example.org).