The Computer Assistant works with the guidance of the Information Technology and Infrastructure Services department to install, troubleshoot and repair computer hardware and answer questions from staff (in person, phone, email) about software, hardware, networks, computer usage, IS and KSU Foundation (KSUF) policies, printing, internet and operating systems. This is a temporary part time, non-exempt, student position.
Core Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. Provide support and troubleshooting for the KSUF staff according to service standards on hardware issues (computers, scanners, monitors, printers, etc.)
2. Provide support and troubleshooting for the KSUF staff according to service standards on software issues.
3. Utilize help desk software to create work orders, monitor and record resolutions to hardware/software problems.
4. Maintain procedure manual for the Information Technology and Infrastructure Services department.
5. Coordinate set up of equipment with KSUF staff to ensure a smooth transition with minimal down time.
6. Assist with routine maintenance of Information Systems Technology hardware assets.
7. Maintain computer equipment and peripheral locations on floor plans.
8. Develop training materials/handouts for procedure changes or upgrades.
High school diploma or equivalent and currently enrolled in coursework at Kansas State University.
Requires at least an intermediate level of understanding of Windows 7, XP, and 8.
Must be able to work under time constraints.
Must have strong organizational skills.
A valid motor vehicle operator’s license and acceptable driving record required.
No travel required.
Work is primarily sedentary. Must be able to sit for long periods of time. May require occasional physical exertion such as long periods of sitting or standing; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities.
Desired Skills & Experience:
Computer hardware and experience with computer operating systems required.
Must have ability to convey complex and technical information into simple terms.
Must have excellent oral and written communication along with problem solving skills a must.
Under minimal supervision, must have the ability to perform assignments in a responsible manner.