Computer science studies the design of computational devices and processes, the transfer and transformation of information, and techniques for making processes efficient and intelligence. The field is both creative and scientific, ranging from the study of theoretical algorithms to the practical problems of designing and implementing software.
The computer science curriculum emphasizes a broad foundation of computer organization, software, and mathematics, together with electives that focus on some aspect or application of computers. The computer science degree program is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET.
Students at K-State gain hands-on, high-tech experience with a wide range of operating systems and application software. The department is a part of the new $40 million addition to the Engineering Complex and includes state-of-the-art labs, classrooms and offices.
- Beocat is a Beowulf cluster: a collection of computers networked together to perform massive parallel computations.
- More than 3,500 cores and 3 petabytes of RAM allow Beocat to chew through even the most challenging of operations.
- Student programming opportunities are available through concurrent courses and other undergraduate research.
- Hosts multiple networks of machines capable of emulating hundreds of combinations of hardware and operating system configurations.
- Allows exploration in network weakness and defense techniques, hacking and counter-hacking, software exploits, and cryptography.
- Our program has been named a Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education by the National Security Agency.
- Our dedicated Linux Lab allows students to learn about what goes on "under the hood" of operating systems and networking.
- Key concepts include priority based scheduling, system call handlers, memory managers, and networked file systems.
- Variety of operating systems, ranging from an instructional system called Pintos to the more widely used Android operating system.
- Engage in a hands-on, high-tech experience with a wide range of operating systems and application software.
- Available hardware allows for the exploration of modern gaming interfaces like XBox Controllers, WiiMotes, and Microsoft Kinect.