Doctor of Philosophy
The Ph.D. degree in Computer Science is offered through the Computer Science graduate program. Requirements include 90 semester hours of graduate-level credit. All work must be completed within seven years.
General requirements include: Completing the Breadth Requirement and passing the Research Proficiency Exam (Preliminary Examination); successfully presenting a research plan to one’s supervisory committee at a research proposal meeting; and completing the research plan, writing a dissertation, and successfully defending the dissertation in an open forum.
- Completing the Breadth Requirement
- Passing the Research Proficiency Exam (RPE)
- Passing the Preliminary Examination
- Completing a Proposal Defense
- Writing a dissertation and successfully defending the dissertation in an open forum.
Course Work Requirements:
- 24 hours of course credit at Kansas State University beyond the master’s degree level
- 15 hours must be 800 level or above
- One or more courses in theoretical or fundamental topics
- At least 30 hours of Ph.D. research credits.
Refer to the Ph.D Handbook (pdf) for more detailed requirements.
Electronic Form Submission - All forms must be submitted electronically using the link to the left and must include department advisor, Sheryl Cornell (email@example.com), as the Program Advisor. The PDF forms listed below are working copies for the students to use as a guide. The electronic form submission has a time limit. Therefore, a student must be prepared with the necessary information before they start.
- Program of Study (pdf)
- Program of Study Change Form (pdf)
- Preliminary Ballot Request (pdf)
- (Admission to Candidacy)
- Approval to Schedule Final Exam Ballot (pdf)