Academic & Mental Wellness Center
Welcome to the Computer Science Department's Academic & Mental Wellness Center! The scholastic success & health - physical or mental - of our students is of the utmost importance to us. We've implemented this veritable bounty of resources to provide our students with the latest information & tools designed to assist them in their academic & life endeavors here at Kansas State University, and all roads that follow!
We have broken this into three primary pillars that we want to focus on, as we know these to be the core areas affecting student performance & well-being:
Pillars of Success
- Learning Strategies
- Here, you can learn more about your unique learning style, how to master your type, and explore the great Wheel of Learning!
- Time Management
- In this zone, you'll find general tips & tricks for time management, advice & tactics for scheduling, and organizational techniques for planning, outlining, and everything in-between!
- Studying & S.T.E.M.
- This section covers hacks & offers resources for efficient studying, the best ways to prepare for exams, and the complete ins & outs of studying for S.T.E.A.M. classes!
We aim for these resources to serve as a guiding hand along a winding path that doesn't always have an obvious, linear trail; perhaps a few stones are missing from the road, or the bricks don't all match. Maybe there's an obstacle up ahead that will require you to take the route less-traveled, and maybe sometimes, there will be an abrupt strike of lightning just past the nearest treetop. No matter what, your journey is incredibly important, not only to us, but inherently. Sometimes, things get tough, and what you learn here, and anywhere else independently, may not be enough.
We know this, and as such, we want to remind you that you are not alone. Below is a list of official K-State resources for professional life coaching, mental health counseling, and specialized advocacy & support:
- Counseling Services
- Offers psychotherapy services to the individual student to: assist in decision-making, crisis intervention, adjustment, and any other matters of personal concern. Support extends throughout the semester, consultation is extended to faculty & staff, and they will assist in identification & referral to additional & appropriate resources on or off campus.
- Mental Health Services
- Offers a variety of mental health services, such as: testing & treatment of ADD or ADHD, depression, anxiety disorders, eating disorders, and medication management. Lafene Health Center Mental Health Services does not provide psychotherapy services.
- Family Center
- Offers psychotherapy services to: the individual, couple, or family at-large, provided affordably and at extremely high-quality, through faculty, doctoral, and master's students, under direct MFT supervision to abide by academic & licensing requirements.
- Office of Student Life
- Offers additional support to our K-State Family through: connecting students, parents, families, faculty, and staff to campus resources, addressing all comments and supports, and, sometimes most importantly, simply listening.
- LGBT Resource Center
- Offers dedicated support to identifying students, staff, and faculty of the LGBT community - along with allied individuals - to be more secure, educated, and productive in their personal & professional settings. It is their goal to promote equity, respect, and social justice.
- Center for Advocacy, Response, and Education
- Offers confidential, free, and voluntary services & advocacy for survivors of sexual violence, dating violence, stalking, and sexual harassment.
- Diversity and Multicultural Student Affairs
- Offers committed service to promoting diversity in every sector of K-State, through unique vision & leadership in diversifying all university functions & curricula. The mission aims to build an inclusive campus climate that fosters mutual understanding among diverse groups, working with deans, department heads, faculty, staff, and students to do so.
Again, remember, you are never alone. If you find yourself in a concerning or dangerous state of mind, at risk of causing temporary or permanent harm to yourself or others, below is the number to the 24/7 National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, along with a link to a 24/7 live-chat version. You matter; your life matters.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255